Pages

Saturday 2 June 2012

FO: Ziemlich Kaffee und Kuchen

After my cross-stitch disaster, I did actually finish something this week. Knitted of course - after all, who doesn't change craft when something is driving you up the wall? It is a lovely frivolous shawl called Afternoon Tea, a recent free pattern in Knitty.


When I saw the pattern I instantly saw this skein of yarn magically turned into it. This did not take much imagination though, as there is a sample that looks very similar indeed.


I was hoping I could go all Austrian, knit it while I was in Vienna and call the project Kaffe und Kuchen (lit: coffee and cake. Normally eaten in the afternoon so it approximates to afternoon tea). However, I had quite a lot of work to do actually, so the amount of knitting time that week was less than usual. I think I knit maybe four rows of it. That is all the knitting I did that week. No wonder I went a bit mad when I got back and finished the thing in double-quick time. And why this is nearly Kaffe und Kuchen.


This is probably the best representation of the colour, apologies for the blur:


Yarn: Old Maiden Aunt 100% superwash merino in leanan sidhe. Lovely yarn to work with, beautiful colour. Maybe a bit prone to letting the needle through the yarn but that might have been me!

Pattern: Afternoon Tea by Helen Stewart. Easy-to-follow pattern that I had no trouble with until the blocking instructions; it says you need blocking wires, and I don't have them. As you can see in the first picture, it probably would have been best blocked with wires not pins!

Mods: I added an extra repeat to the edge, as I had plenty of yarn left. By the actual edge though I was lacking in yarn, so cut out the final bit of pattern (there is meant to be another row with YOs every other stitch) and after casting off had about 6 yards of yarn left. I'm not sure how much longer it is as a result but I do prefer the edging on mine (if I do say so myself). 


Simple, sweet and frothy. Just how I like my coffee and cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment