Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

FO: Spring Forward (Blue)


This is my first pair of socks, and I may have bitten off more than I can chew with Spring Forward. Don't get me wrong, lovely well-written, simple pattern; it was just a little too much to learn picking up stitches, turning the heel etc. while doing a pattern. So, if you're new to socks, find a plain vanilla sock pattern and then knit these.

As with any 'first', there were trials, tribulations, and times when I just ran off to more experienced knitters, but overall I enjoyed the process. The yarn I chose was really easy to use and reasonably priced - King Cole Merino 4ply in Slate Blue, from Baa Ram Ewe, Headingley.


I joined the two balls of yarn using a Russian join, supported by this website and the ever-patient Steph. It was a little confusing at first but actually is a great idea and worth persisting with.

Yeah, slight second sock syndrome though - I did the join well into the second sock as you can see, and there was snow on the ground. That second sock only took two months. But again, worth it in the end - knitted for my Mum, she was really touched and proud of how I'm coming along as a knitter (though, since she taught me to knit, maybe a little worried about what she started!!)

1 comment:

  1. yay for first socks! I'm yet to knit spring forward though it's been in my queue forever.
    dunno if i'll ever get round to it.

    ReplyDelete